Comments from students about the Thinking in Java Hands-On Seminar
- This is the best technical course I have attended. The
combination of the beautiful environment, Bruce's knowledge and
relaxed teaching style make a very powerful package. I believe
that I was able to learn more about Java (and quality
programming practices) here than would have been possible under
more "normal" circumstances. Eddie Demond/EDS
- Just wanted to say thank you again for the great course ... this was the best seminar I've ever taken!
And thanks to the CD, this seminar never really ends ... I got your perspective last week when you taught
the course live, and now hearing Bruce's view of it on the CD is great
reinforcement ... Two teachers for the price of one! James Pleger,
Loudoun County (Virginia) Government
- Great instructor, great course, great location and a
great value! Chuck - Minneapolis MN
- The course is great! The approach of starting the
seminar with "everything is an object", and later the concepts
of polymorphism and inheritance, makes the course much more
effective. These foundations allowed me to easily understand the
functionality and usage of the java core classes used during the
seminar. Now, it is easy to check any Java API and understand
how to use it since the concepts of OOP were so well covered by
Bruce. I do not recommend this course to those who want to learn
the syntax of Java... however, I recommend it to everyone
interested in understanding the object oriented programming
approach used in Java, and also to those individuals who want to
take their development/programming skills to the next level.
Felix Guerrero. Multimedia Application
- I spend a fortune in books over the past year and could
have saved a lot of money, time and agony if I had attended the
seminar earlier. This is the most amazing, intuitive
course/literature I have come across on the subject of Java. I
can't see an easier way to learn Java from the ground up. In
record-breaking time of 5 days, I have gained a thorough
understanding of Java and, for that matter, OOP in general. The
seminar, the CD and the book are an absolute must for anyone who
is sincerely interested in Java. I don't think his book will
ever leave my desk! Ralf Jacob, Webmaster AD, BoxTop
- Comprehensive without becoming overwhelming. The best
training class I have ever attended!! Steve Beltz, I-Net
- I have been writing Java programs since finishing your
Hands On Seminar in February. That was the best
programming class I've ever attended.Benny Poon, UC
Davis Medical Center
- Insightful, bold, cogent and fun! One of the best
software learning experiences I've had ... highly
recommended. Byron Viets, Sierratel Communications
- Comprehensive, yet practical approach to learning the Java language.
Solid theory coupled with practical first hand experience and hands on
experience provide a solid foundation to build on in short order. Sean
Mathias, Director of Operations, Classmates
- The course was very good. The instructor provided slides, and the
examples were excellent. Along with the online version of the book, you have
all you need to get up to speed in java in the shortest amount of time.
Marc Miller, Classmates
- While not a programmer, I thoroughly enjoyed the course. I think the key
to its success was the instructor's ability to display a great balance of the following
roles: teacher, programmer, entertainer and friend. Thank you. Kevin
- It was excellent! Matt Hogan/Eli Lilly and Company
- I have learned more here than attending a semester-long
Java course at a local college! Usha Balaraman, Digital
Equipment Corporation Software Consultant
- I found the "hands on" approach to be a very useful and
productive technique for learning Java. This was probably the
most useful seminar I have ever attended. John Kline,
- This is an excellent class one of the best I have ever
taken!!! If you want a great introduction to Java and Object-Oriented
Programming definitely take this class. David Robbins, Senior Software
Engineer, DataCraft ("Put your 4D database on the Web in 5 minutes": http://www.datacraft-inc.com)
- This is an excellent course to learn about the fundamental concepts of
OOP and Java. Thai C. Le, Shell Services International
- Excellent Java course. The course covered all the Java 2 features.
Everyone was able to implement and test the material taught in the course. The
course is very realistic about the pluses and minuses of Java. Moshe
Greenberg, Sanford C. Bernstein Inc.
- The most well-thought-out and thorough programming class I've attended.
Attention to important details and connecting each lesson to the previous one
sets TIJ apart. Gunnar Peterson, Novartis
- This course was a tremendous value and great investment. Bruce
supplements much of his "Thinking in Java" book with interesting anecdotes and
many illustrative examples. The seminar goes beyond the book into lots of
fascinating nooks and crannies without ever losing focus. Bruce Eckel prooves
that he's more than just a great writer he's a marvelous teacher, who
sincerely cares about his students and furthering their understaning of the Java
language. I feel very fortunate to have attended this seminar. Mike
Porter, President, Greenlight software, Inc.
- An excellent immersion approach, and a refreshing and useful
antidote to the world of "quick & dirty" programming. Cliff
Resnick, Programmer, New York
- This is it! I've heard Bruce before and his "Thinking in Java" is all
that I expected it to be and more. I like the approach of accommodating beginner
through advanced. Having workable examples and hands-on class-time experience,
I've got a good jump up the learning curve. It's been a week well
I've also enjoyed jogging along the San Francisco Bay. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bruce's knowledge of the Java language's past, and present and is
apparently boundless. I look forward to taking more classes with Bruce as the
language progresses. Joe Dante, Senior Programmer, ESS Inc.
- Attending this course cleared my confusion and really hammered home all
of the concepts. I am now ready to dive into my first Java project. Thanks!
Mike O'Brien, Questra Corporation
- Excellent course materials. Book is great! Definitely not for a novice
programmer. Introduces advanced concepts well. This would be the route if
someone wants to add Java to their existing language skills. Ravi
Akkoor, President, Insight Info Systems, Kalamazoo MI
- Excellent course for Java concepts Buford Harvey/Eli Lilly and
- A well-paced workshop focused on education and understanding of Java
and OO; not a shallow training course. Scott Miles, Laboratory for
Spatial Analysis in Geotechnical Engineering, University of
- There is no "fluff" in this course. It is jam packed with information
& concepts that form the foundation for further knowledge in
Java. Gayle Sanders, Nokia
- "I laughed. I cried." It was good to have an objective point of view,
rather than hearing fanatical pro-ore anti-Java propaganda. Like all languages,
Java has strengths and weaknesses and in the seminar we get to see
both.Clay Folwer, Grantlun
- This is the most complete Java class I have ever taken. BTW, the
instructor's style is cool :-)
- Bruce's explanations are clear and understandable without too much
jargon. He makes it clear which topics are important and which features are
rarely used. The class shows so many different Java programs that it makes it
easy to become comfortable with the structure of the language. Kathy
Wisnewski, SAS Institute Inc.
- Fun learning experience. Helps fill all the holes in Knowledge on Java.
Gives a good understanding of the basic concepts. Ashwini Pande, Rosetta
Inpharmatics, Kirkland WA
- Overall the class was very good. The online and hard copy materials were
very thorough. The class itself maintained a high interest level throughout the
week, which was pleasantly surprising for a programming class. Olivia
Lee, Oracle Corp.
- The course was well laid-out, making it easier to grasp a radically
different programming language for an old 'C' programmer. John Kotch,
Systems Engineer, Infoscape Inc.
- As a new programmer, I found the class challenging, and a great overview
of object-oriented programming.
- Your associate was a big help. The food and location were
outstanding. James C.
Taylor, Santa Fe Preparatory School
- Bruce's class is an excellent way to learn Java. He avoids the natural
tendency to jump right into applets in order to make sure all the bases are
covered. You really understand the language before getting into applets.
Tim Wallace, DSC Corporation
- Bruce has the rare ability to communicate ideas clearly, both in person
and in print. (This is unusual in computer science and difficult with a
mixed-ability audience.) On tope of that, compared with the pricing of other
such seminars, "Hands-On Java" is quite a bargain overall a high "bang
for your buck." Bruce M. Carothers, Principal Software Engineer,
- Great Course
- Wonderful class. Material was well-organized and presented in a clear and
concise manner. Highly recommended for the beginner to intermediate Java/C++
developer. I can't wait for attend the "Advanced" class!! Grant Farrow,
- If you want to travel fast and far, and cut through the political side
trips of other authors, this is the vehicle for you. Jim Van Meter,
- Great intro to both OOP and Java!
- This course has less of a theological flavor and is much more pragmatic
than other Java classes I've been to. More nuts and bolts and refreshing
realism. A rarity in the realm of strongly-hyped languages. Roland
Wilcher, Research Consultant for Bell and Howell PSC
- Great course! The information was presented in a concise format with each
section building on the previous. Excellent learning environment. Not only am I
a better Java programmer, but a better OO programmer as well! Thanks!
Andrew Bacon, Celcore Inc.
- Excellent presentation of material, tempo and format.
- Great class, well organized and very informative. Matt Starr,
Spectra Logic Corporation
- Excellent in-depth treatment of subjects only lightly covered in most
Java books. email@example.com
- The concept of thinking correctly before writing in Java is an important
factor. The course really brought this home. Jerry Hamby, BroadBand
- Very useful and informative introduction to programming in Java and to
object-oriented concepts. Bruce has worked hard to understand how Java is meant
to be used and this shows in the depth and honesty of his treatment of the
language. Patrick Morrison, Senior Consultant, Information Technology
Consulting, Inc. http://www.itci.com
- I really like the way Bruce uses actual code examples to create, test
and reinforce Java learning. His sample programs are real gems that can be
modified and rerun to answer particular questions about Java. A very
comprehensive and thorough course. Don Sawyer, Nortel Advanced Technology
- The last two days alone were well worth the cost. Covered the questions
I had about Java usage beyond Web applets. A good synthesis of likely directions
for the language this will be of value as we consider how we may use the
language in our environment. Sean McKenna, Clorox
- I thought my head was going to explode, but in the end it was a tired,
yet happy feeling, like running a marathon and making it to the finish line.
Bjorn Austraat, Software localization specialist, Berlitz Interactive
- Terrific fast track introduction to Java in a magnificent setting.
Mark Russell, CTO FirstTel Systems
- This is the most succinct and clear presentation of Java I have ever
encountered. Neither pedestrian nor obscure, Bruce Eckel presents Java in a
manner both practical and immanently comprehensible. A must for all C and C++
programmers seeking to master Java. Daniel MacWilliams, Software
- Thank you so much! This was an incredible class and I know our entire
group that came benefited tremendously. I hope we make it back for an
intermediate course! Kim Parker/ Celcore, Inc.
- Bruce really knows his stuff! Excellent course! All concepts, topics
& examples were clearly explained and made easy to understand. I like
Bruce's approach to teaching & learning the Java & OOP programming
process. Karen Hobert, Top Dog, Bad Dog, BAD!
- This class is worth far more than what Bruce charges. I rarely attend a
class where I dont have to worry about the logistics of breakfast, lunch,
etc. The bulk of the time was spent learning and doing exercises. Rod
- Concise, comprehensive, an excellent introduction to Java for a
first-timer. Thoroughly enjoyed the course. Assistants were extremely helpful.
Recommended. Deepika Gajulapalli, Edify Corporation
- Outstanding approach to teaching a language & development
environment. Teaching the mechanics & philosophy before graphics &
applets is the right approach. I felt that I was able to absorb more OOD by
having a better understanding of how the language functions. Paul
Grunwald / Intel
- Once again, thank you for giving such a great seminar. It was very
comprehensive and much more than just an introduction to the language.
Hui-Lim Victor Lim, Technical Staff, Oracle Corporation
- I really enjoyed the class. It was very informative, and filled in all
the gaps. Nice not to get a marketing slant! Bruce really knows his stuff and
did a great job communicating it. Allison Fields, Systems
consultant, Tribune Company
- Excellent introduction to Java. The title of the book "Thinking in Java"
is a perfect description of the class. Roger Kibbe, Andersen Consulting
- I took a C++ class from Bruce earlier and was very impressed with it. I
came to the Java class with high expectations. I was not disappointed.
Mark Carleton, Software Design Engineer, Hewlett Packard.
- This class wisely explores OOP concepts and Java structure before
pushing into Java's flashier features. It also exposes Java's current weaknesses
and warts. Gary Wong, Webmaster, Tribune Company
- Having read Bruce's book "Thinking in C++," I decided to take this
course to help me learn Java
Bruce's perspective on both languages will
not disappoint. Brian Bruckner, Sr. Systems Analyst, Microsoft
- Excellent food! An experienced C programmer will come away understanding
object-oriented techniques and how to apply them to their next project in Java,
or any other OOP language. Rhoda Neimand/Sybase
- Thanks especially for creating an environment in which slow learners are
allowed to learn a lot and can make good use of the
exercise periods without harassment but with help available when needed.
- The attention and help given during the exercises really made a
difference for me in my ability to understand what was going on. Bruce's
descriptions and method of presenting the material in each lesson was easy to
understand and very clear. More understandable than anything I would receive by
just reading a book. Carli Schultz, Web Site Development & Design
- Money well spent! firstname.lastname@example.org
- I was very pleased with the depth and breadth of the topics covered. I
would have no problem recommending this course to novice and advanced
programmers alike. Dan Dumbrill, Learning Tools Inc.
- Well structured, good format, a very productive week. Brian Ruff
- This seminar covers Java language in depth with ample numbers of
exercises. It is an excellent option for people looking to gain fair amounts of
Java knowledge in a short period. Praveen/Sharp Laboratories of
- Good solid class on Java covering all the important aspects of the
language. J. Sanchez
- Assistants were very receptive to questions. Enjoyed clarity with which
Bruce lectured. Found book extremely readable. Actually enjoyed a class that I
thought might be hell! Food was fresh, healthy and filling. Recommended.
Exercises gave a good understanding of concepts. Ranjani Varadarajan /
- This seminar is well-organized and concise. It presented many
understandable concepts and implementations to clarify the way I think in Java.
Tron B. Knik, Sr. Systems Analyst, ITSD King County WA.
- The course's structure introduces the core concepts in a
non-overwhelming way. The AWT & Applets are much easier to understand once
you've taught us the fundamentals. Bill Humphries, EPRI
- All in all the class is very well designed and delivered. Matt
- The Hands-on-Java seminar is a fantastic presentation of Java and
Internet concepts and fundamentals. Bruce's instruction of Object programming
and Java is a realistic presentation of Java's functionality and usage. The best
presentation of Object programming concepts I have seen. Thanks to this seminar
-- and your Thinking C++ seminar I am the one with the Java and object
programming knowledge base. - Diane P.
- I just wanted to let you know that I thoroughly enjoyed the Java
seminar. The material that was presented and the hands-on labs definitely added
to my further understanding of the Java language. I also liked the way you
present the material in your book 'Thinking in Java'. - Dan K.
- I found the class to be very thorough and enjoyable. The exercises were
useful in addition to being educational. Kevin Yancy, Manager NMS
Development, Celcore Inc.
- I found your hands-on Java course to be beneficial and fun. The course
provided a thorough introduction to Java and a comparison to C++. The hands-on
format gave the participants the opportunity for immediate feed back on lecture
material. Since attending your course, I've developed several Java applications
that are being used on the web. You couldn't have pick a nicer setting and the
lunches you provided were wonderful. Thank you for a great experience!
- Just want to say again that I enjoyed your seminar. Robert
- The class gave me a true understanding of Java and now will allow us as
a company to determine the best way to use Java. Anon
- Ambitious course. I came wondering if an introductory course would be
too basic, but we covered an amazing range of useful features of the language,
in depth with well-tested hands-on examples. A very good confidence-builder that
covered things I didn't imagine we could get to in only one week.
- Excellent, Impressive! Thanks, Bruce!
- The best overall course for any procedural programmer who wants to
really get into the world of objects while also learning a great new
language. Delac BARBOUCHE, Connect Computer
- I was excited when I found out that I would be taking Bruce Eckel's
Hands-On Java Seminar because I knew that it was one of the best courses to
cover Java. These expectations were fully met in the course. Ronald
Greti, KANA Communications
- Great class with lots of practical examples, OOP techniques, etc.
Bruce Van Patten, AMCC
- I was particularly impressed that this class focused on learning the
language, not just on learning enough to hack an applet. Greg
Cohoon, Vanguard Cellular Systems
- Best class I've attended in a long time. The class was well organized
and jam-packed with very useful information. Michele Matthews,
Vanguard Cellular Systems
- The seminar was packed with useful information . Bruce's independent
status allows him to present things in a completely objective manner, which
provides some unique insights into the language. Whatever your reason for
attending, come ready to learn. You will leave with a "brainful."
- Bruce has an excellent command of Java and a clear, confident teaching
- Bruce Eckel is an excellent speaker and presenter!
- This is a very good Java intro class. It gives a comprehensive view of
the language without spending time on the obvious stuff. Ben Wong,
- I got exactly what I came for; a better understanding of OO concepts
and programming techniques with a focus on Java. Thanks!
- The kestrel and the night heron right outside the window were a nice
touch. Susan Finkleman
- Emphasizes how to put things together in an object-oriented fashion with
Java. this is exactly what I'm looking for. Tina Yeh, Output Technology
Solutions of California
- I knew nothing about OOP and nothing about Java before attending. I have
an engineering background with experience in FORTRAN and C programming. I found
the course very well suited to my background. While the lecture pace was at
times quick, I was by no means lost. The class exercises were very well designed
and very instructive. Jim Hicks, Persons Brickerhoff
- Bruce is very knowledgeable about the Java language and communicates it
in a way that makes it easy to learn. Todd Peterson, Output Technology
Solutions of California
- Very thorough introduction to Java's core concepts, presented in very
pleasant setting. I can't possibly imagine taking an intro Java seminar from
anyone else. Martin Schechtman
- Excellent overview of issues and features, a good foundation class. I
won't use everything, but it's helpful to get a sense of what is in the
language. You kept everybody's attention through the last day, which is pretty
impressive for a five-day class :-). Jean Anderson, Informix
- The seminar introduced and also showed me the possibilities that Java
can provide. From start to finish, this seminar provided the necessities for
beginners to advanced users of Java to create and extend Java programs.
William Yee, Grantlun
- I must say again I'm totally stoked about where the class has gotten me
in putting Java to work. I'm cooking along adding all kinds of functionality to
an application that was only a gleam in my eye before the course.
- Bruce converted me from C++ to Java and taught me everything I need to
gain more insight and learn more advanced concepts. Plus I lost 40 pounds and
won the lottery! Thanks, Bruce! Joseph Callahan, Fox Chase Cancer
- Bruce Eckel's "Hands-On Java Seminar" saved my life! Before I came to
San Francisco, I was a lowly C++ programmer with poor self-esteem. Thanks to
Bruce and his miraculous OOP technique, I have more energy and self confidence.
I even met my future wife! Good going, Bruce! Chris Cantrell